I'd noticed from the beginning, when I installed the wing, that the wing moves laterally at high speeds and in corners.
Lather, rinse, and repeat for 5000 miles, and you get this:
Fortunately removed with an easy-out, but clearly something had to change if I'm snapping 10.9 grade 8mm bolts.
Per the recommendations I got from the Exocet owners' group, I installed a brace to prevent any side-to-side motion.
First I replaced the wing mount bolts with ARP 180,000 psi tensile
strength. This by itself wouldn't be a cureall but it can't hurt.
On the wing mount, I fabricated a simple 1/8" angle bracket and positioned it on the lower bolt to avoid impacting airflow around the wing.
On the frame side I used a flag mount, lightly repurposed.
Once firmly in place, the wing has zero lateral movement.
- Black-oxide alloy steel 12-point screw, M8 x 1.25 mm, 20 mm long (link)
- Stallard Swedged 3/4" aluminum radius rod, 3/8-24 thread, 31" (link)
- QA1 PCYML6T PCY series rod end, chromoly steel (link)
- Aluminum jam nuts, 3/8-24 LH, pack/6 (link)
- QA1 PCYMR6T PCY series rod end, chromoly steel (link)
- Aluminum jam nuts, 3/8-24 RH, pack/6 (link)
- UTV flag mount bracket (link)